Saturday, November 13, 2010

Nos. 3 & 4 on the Library A to Z tour

Before I say anything about the two next books I have to finish with #2, GRACELAND by Chris Abani.
Finished it yesterday. I was seriously apprehensive about reading or finishing the book because I knew there were going to be some pretty traumatic and brutal moments. Got through them and the young man did, too. I was going to add some of the recipes that were in the book and some of the descriptions of herbs that are found in the area that the book is about, but I forgot. Took the book back to the library. If you can find the book anywhere please read it. It's worth the effort.

Book # 3 is FIRE ON THE MOUNTAIN by Edward Abbey. Incredibly enjoyable book. Quick read. but Abbey has a great ability to describe the surroundings of his tale without getting too flowery. I could see and feel the New Mexican desert while reading. The story itself wasn't anything new or unforgettable. The characters were pretty much business as usual: the old codger refusing to leave his land that the gov't was trying to take away from him, thegrandson, the Mexican housekeeper, the military people, the marshal, etc. I don't care I enjoyed the book. It was a good getaway.

Book #4 is COLLISION by Jeff Abbott. This one was a non-stop, fast-moving, hold on to your seats thriller. Lots of violence and gunplay, no sex. 

I just realized that reading all the books in the library should have started when I was at least 10 years old. There are a lot of books to be read! DUH! What was I thinking? But it's been fun so far. 

No comments:

Post a Comment